Olean, United States
about 2 months ago
Contractor Checker/Layout Design / Drafting Location: US-Bethlehem, PA or Olean, NY Category: Engineering Education: Associates Degree or Equivalent Experience: 5-10 years
Accountable to create, design, and check complex layouts of parts, equipment and concepts.
Timely and accurate production of rough, machining and assembly drawings and manufacturing bills of materials. Active in checking process as required to meet promise dates.
Excellent collaboration and communication is critical to this role.
Equally important to this role, is the growth experience this position offers the successful applicant beyond just the layout-checker drafting/design function. This position offers the applicant the ability to interact with the global Siemens TCP Organization and potentially expand their role.
Position reports directly to the Drafting Team Lead for the TCP Product line.
Limited domestic/international travel is required.
This position can be located at the Siemens Gas and Power Engineering and Technology Center located in either Olean, NY or Bethlehem, PA depending on the candidates skills/experience.
- Work safely following all corporate / local procedures and timely completion of all required safety training
- Maintain accurate and organized engineering records
- Follow all processes and obtain necessary approvals where required
- Produce dimensionally correct layout drawings and 3dimensional models of parts & equipment, complete with overall dimensions, tolerances, fits, finishes, and material selections.
- Develop complete detailed lists requiring complex part selection and material lists.
- Produce list of new drawings required to develop proto-type and contract equipment.
- Utilize correct method of dimensioning in compliance with drafting standards.
- Design utilizing correct and economical method of manufacturing machined and fabricated parts.
- Utilize correct part numbers, rough numbers, welding methods to meet manufacturing requirements.
- Self-check for accuracy of all drawings, layouts and bills of material.
- Check vendor drawings as required.
- Check detail drawings as required to support on-time and financial commitments.
- Assist in training/guidance of less experienced Drafters. Explain changes and corrections on check prints to others.
- Assist Manufacturing, Purchasing, and P & IC personnel to interpret customer and manufacturing drawings and material lists.
- Evaluate and solve shop problems on deviations related to drawings when required and as assigned.
- Participate in development, implementation, maintenance, and continuous improvement of design tools, product improvements, and standards associated with design, manufacturing, testing, and repair of turbomachinery products
- Collaborate with the solution development team in the development of commercial offerings, as required
- Other miscellaneous duties to support the product lines success
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience:
- 2-year Associate Degree in drafting or equivalent degree
- 5-10 years of experience in design drafting (2D and 3D CAD)
- 5-years experience working with rotating machinery, e.g. centrifugal compressors, centrifugal pumps, axial compressors, hot gas expanders, auxiliary systems
- Proficiency with PLM (Team Center/Globus) and ERP system (SAP or Oracle).
- High attention to detail and big picture thinker
- Ability to work independently on complex designs
- Ability to work collaboratively and individually with the same enthusiasm and intensity.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and writing skills
- Possess and demonstrate a high degree of tact and professionalism; and be capable of interacting with Management, Peers, Subordinates, Shop Personnel, and Clients
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Solid computer literacy and experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook, Power-Point), advanced knowledge of 2D/3D CAD, and experience with ERP systems (SAP and/or Oracle)
- Knowledge and understanding of Siemens / Dresser-Rands products and services
- Experience working for a major rotating equipment supplier, machinery reliability engineer, and/or EPC
- Experience with drafting automation.
- Experience with Lean Methodologies