Sacramento, United States
about 1 year ago
Production Engineer - Carshell and Bogie Systems
Siemens Mobility Rail Division has an immediate opening for an experienced Mechanical Engineer / Production Engineer at their Sacramento, California Facility. The candidates primary role will be to provide engineering support in the fabrication of rail vehicle carshell structures and complete fabrication and assembly of rail bogies. We are looking for professionals with the necessary drive, focus and skill sets needed to succeed in a high paced and dynamic production environment.
Carshell/Bogie Production Engineering is embedded in the high paced environment of the production facility. The successful candidate will be working daily alongside of production shop personnel, Quality Assurance inspectors and customer resident inspectors. In the role of Production Engineer, you will assist both the Engineering Design and Production Engineering departments to ensure the fit, form and function of the specified design is conveyed to and carried out on the factory floor. This includes providing engineering-based expertise, guidance, and solutions necessary to ensure production goals are maintained, while simultaneously ensuring product safety and quality remains unparalleled within the rail industry.
A successful candidate has the skills necessary to interpret complex information delivered from the factory floor, locate and interpret relevant technical drawings, specifications and bills of material, and then translate the entirety of information into engineering-based instructions and/or redline drawing updates. Candidates must also possess the skills necessary to approve/disapprove the use of non-conforming components, create repair procedures and provide feedback to suppliers requesting deviation allowances.
Applicants must be both a team player and take ownership for their work. They must also be motivated, detail oriented and able to troubleshoot and resolve technical issues with minimal supervision. Extensive knowledge of welding codes and welding processes is a plus, as is hands on welding experience.
- Provide engineering-based solutions/guidance on production related issues, utilizing industry standards, approved processes, root cause analysis, and best engineering practices.
- Accurately discern when proposed changes require structural recalculations to be performed and/or when design engineering input is required.
- Perform engineering evaluations on requests for deviation and provide either justification for use or repair procedures when applicable.
- Ensure production engineering assistance is provided in a timely manner so that the production schedule is impacted as little as possible. Production engineering response time is typically one business day.
- Knowledge of welded steel/stainless steel structures and design, including welding theory, application, and inspection methods (AWS D1.1 and EN 15085 preferred).
- Fundamental knowledge of electrical, hydraulic and pneumatic systems
- Machining and tooling experience
- Interpreting engineering level drawings and/or bill of materials (BOM)
- Fundamental understanding of Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T)
- SAP Experience
- Approving/Disapproving of materials through Non-Conformance (NC) process
- Releasing parts using Engineering Change Requests (ECR) and Engineering Change Notices (ECN)
- Supplier Request for Deviation (SRD) review and approval/rejection
- Experience working in a manufacturing environment, interfacing with factory workers
- Experience with communicating with suppliers and customers, internal and external
- Creating repair procedures
- Conducting First Article Inspections (FAIs) with customer present
- Ability to comprehend details presented by the analysis group responsible for welded structures with regards to static, quasi-static, fatigue, and creep; as well as provide constructive dialog from the perspective of production when collaboratively resolving issues.
Required knowledge / Skills, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree or similar degree with 2 years experience preferred.
- Will also entertain recent or soon to be Mechanical Engineering or similar degree graduates.